What is NFFTY?
NFFTY is the world’s largest film festival for emerging directors. In 2017, we screened 257 amazing films from the best filmmakers 24 and younger representing 38 states and 27 countries, with over 13,000 in attendance.
NFFTY 2018, our 12th anniversary, will be held October 25 - 28 in Seattle, WA.
MovieMaker Magazine has twice (2016, 2014) rated NFFTY as one of the top 50 festivals worth the entry fee. We are currently one of the Top 100 Rated Film Festivals on FilmFreeway (out of more than 4,000).
Submission Deadlines + Entry Fees
Online Application and Film Received By:
Early Deadline: April 10– $25
Mid Deadline: May 15 – $30
Regular Deadline: June 15 – $40
Late Deadline: July 6 – $45
Final Deadline: July 20– $55
- The film’s director(s) must have been 24 years old or younger at time of filming.
- All music and other copyrighted material used in films must be properly licensed. See our Resource Guide.
- All films must be in English or subtitled in English.
All films (national and international) may be submitted into only one category:
Feature – any narrative film over 30 minutes in length.
Short – any narrative short film under 30 minutes.
Documentary – documentary of any length.
Music Video – music video of any length.
Animation – any form of animation, any length.
Experimental – any length film that does not fit the mold of typical filmmaking.
VR - 360° - Is its own separate category.
- Note: Public Service Announcements, commercials, and/or film trailers are not eligible for consideration in any category.
Awards & Opportunities
- Festival Awards – We’ll be announcing specific Jury and Audience Awards closer to the festival.
- Last year we gave out $2,500 in cash awards and an additional $8,000 in scholarships.
- Original Content Projects – In the past year, we’ve given out over $50,000 in cash to NFFTY Alumni to produce special branded projects. Once you’ve had a film accepted into NFFTY, you will be eligible for these opportunities.
- At The Festival – When you attend NFFTY as a Filmmaker, you get to meet fellow young filmmakers from around the world, network with industry leaders and grow as a filmmaker. It’s truly a once in a lifetime experience.