Back to Submit   |   Official Rules & Guidelines

Music Licensing Options For Your Film:

1.     Original Music. That is music you created yourself or hired a composer to score for you. That is great. If you had someone make the music for you, just make sure you have an email or simple release stating it’s okay to use.

2.     Licensed Music. That’s another great option.  Licensed music is music you don’t own and isn’t exclusively for your film, but you get permission to use, either for free or for a small fee. Maybe you have a killer song a friend made.  Or maybe you want to license something from another artist. Read below for our list of music licensing resources.

3.     Non-Licensed Music from another Film or a Big Artist. This is not cool. First of all, it’s illegal and you could get in serious trouble. Second of all, it goes against everything a fellow artist should stand for. Please don’t use music in your film you don’t have permission for.

Free/Low Cost Music Licensing Options:

1.     Audiosocket Partnership. Audiosocket is a music licensing company for film and TV. Their roster contains over 52,000 songs in over 200 genres from emerging bands/artists and composers worldwide. They’ve generously agreed to provide single-track licenses exclusively for NFFTY submissions and NFFTY festival use. To access their player, go to to find tracks. When you've found the tracks you want to license, send an email to with the track names/numbers. They will send a license submission form to you. 

3.     Creative Commons Music. A list of websites where artists have donated their music under the creative commons rules.

If you have additional questions about the rules, submission process or festival, email: